[Exim] if smtp destination is down, try via a backup, don't …

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Dan Jacobson
To: exim-users
Betreff: [Exim] if smtp destination is down, try via a backup, don't just fail
Gentlemen, is it possible to: For each mail in the queue: try sending
"directly", and if fails, relay thru e.g. my ISP. How does one write
the exim.conf to do that here on debian? For say a 10 minute long
modem session and 10 mails to send, would I be better off just routing
them all thru my ISP?

Or a simpler case, say, I send lots of debian bug reports. I bet even
though I'm sending from a spam country, the debian bug tracker system
won't reject mail sent directly. What does a route_list that sends
"direct for pattern A" look like?

OK, how about this "no fun and games" case: I connect my modem and I
start noticing lots of reject messages in my mailbox. Hark, the fellow
who let me use his machine as an smtp relay must have been abducted,
machine and all. Well, there's another fellow who also lets me use
his machine as an smtp relay. So, I have to peel out the original
messages out of the reject messages, (not that bad with here in gnus
where S D b runs the command gnus-summary-resend-bounced-mail), adjust
exim.conf to now relay via friend 2, and make another phone call.

What I want is "can anything else be done when a given smtp
destination is down, other than failing?"

One way would be "for smtp destination 1, I hereby also designate smtp
destination 2 as a backup". Maybe once smtp destination 1 has
problems, switch to smtp destination 2 for the rest of the "session",
so we don't wait long timeouts on our quick modem session.

As you can tell, I need cookbook examples, as I don't have that many
cells up there under the baldspot to work with.

Perhaps add explicit examples to the docs. P.S. I use the debian exim
package.

P.S. does this (exim-users) list offer a nomail option, for us
gmane.org users? Then I could be a subscriber.
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780