[Exim] Unqualified redirection addresses prefixed with '\'

Author: Mark Bergsma
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Unqualified redirection addresses prefixed with '\'
According to the Exim 4.10 documentation for the redirect router, an
unqualified redirection address prefixed with '\' will get qualified to
the original address domain, even when qualify_preserve_domain is not
set on the router:

> If an item begins with ``\'' and the rest of the item parses as a
> valid RFC 2822 address that does not include a domain, the item is
> qualified using the domain of the incoming address. In the absence of
> a leading ``\'', unqualified addresses are qualified using the value
> in qualify_recipient, but you can force the incoming domain to be
> used by setting qualify_preserve_domain.

However, when I have something like:

a:    somelocalpart@somedomain
b:    \a

in an aliasfile, and qualify_preserve_domain is not set, Exim qualifies
it to the setting of qualify_domain.

I can't find any support for this in the Exim sourcecode, so I think
this is either a bug in the documentation, or a missing Exim feature,
depending on how you look at it. ;) Probably a leftover from Exim 3?

--
Mark

mark@???