Re: [Exim] more on RBL's

Autor: Nico Erfurth
A: Ron McKeating, Exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] more on RBL's
Ron McKeating wrote:
> I got blacklists working and am currently using the one that is free to
> UK academics by JANET. I set it to warn an lo and behold today I got a
> spam with the header

exim-version?

Hmm, Hmmm, exim3? You really should upgrade.

> Sadly however there were another 18 spams without this header. One hit
> out of 18 does not bode well for me. So can anybody advise me. Is it
> just that the free RBL service from JANET is not really very good, and
> if so (I am happy to pay real money if it works) which are the best
> black lists to use.

Well, blacklists can't catch all spam, they just can protect you
receiving mail from most probably abused servers.

Currently I'm using this setup with exim4

deny    message  = host is listed in $dnslist_domain ($dnslist_text)
         dnslists = list.dsbl.org:\
                    sbl.spamhaus.org:\
                    relays.ordb.org

dsbl.org is a great list, sbl blocks most notorious spammers, and ordb
sometimes catches what else was left through.

What really helped here, was the list from wirehub.nl
deny   message = Host or address listed in \
                    http://basic.wirehub.nl/spamlist.txt
        senders = cdb;/etc/exim/spamlist.cdb:*@cdb;/etc/exim/spamlist.cdb

It does a great job on catching new spammers.
I don't know if the wirehub list can be used with exim3, but believe me,
you will not regret an upgrade to exim4.

Nico