Re: [Exim] Reverese DNS Exim

Author: James P. Roberts
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Reverese DNS Exim
> Hello,
>
> How Important Reverse DNS entry is for EXIM configuration ????.
> (Will exim deliver mails if there is not reverse entries for domains???)
>
> Regards,
> Tina.

Exim will certainly attempt to deliver mails to remote servers. Many remote
servers will refuse mail if there is no valid reverse DNS entry for the
sending server.

Exim will accept mails from remote servers, addressed to your local domain(s),
as specified in exim.conf, without regard to YOUR reverse DNS entries (unless
you manage to write an ACL that makes such a check, I suppose, though heaven
only knows why one would do that). You must have proper forward DNS records,
so that remote servers can find your SMTP server, of course.

Bottom line is, without a reverse DNS entry for your server, you can receive,
but not reliably send.

In most cases, it suffices to have a valid reverse DNS entry just for the SMTP
server; additional ones for hosted virtual domains are generally not required,
although there may be some people who would argue otherwise. In my
experience, such additional reverse records are not required. YMMV.

Regards,
Jim Roberts
Punster Productions, Inc.