Re: [Exim] Exim 4.14 and Netscape

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Mike Richardson
To: Nicholas Blackaby
CC: Mike Richardson
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Exim 4.14 and Netscape
On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 12:17:41PM +0100, Nicholas Blackaby wrote:
> Mike,
>
> We were hit by the same problem a fortnight ago.
>
> I got around it by implementing a workaround which essentially
> removes the "Sender" header line of mail passing through the
> UMIST mailrouters ... there is always more than one way of doing
> something.

I think that Sender is a valid header though and is used for legit
purposes like mailing lists. I think that fixing the client is preferable
to hacking the MTA.

> First of all we also thought this was a Unix only problem but after
> some investigation determined that Netscape 7 (say) on Unix/Linux
> works fine. In otherwords, the real culprits are old versions of
> Netscape (such as Netscape 4.*).

Yes, I forgot to say that its Netscape 4 specific.

> We also recommended that all Unix-based users should upgrade
> to Netscape 7.

Except that Netscape seemed to stopped making non-linux browsers
with Netscape 4. ftp.netscape.com only has linux variants for 6 and 7.
The user who first reported the problem is an Irix user and the latest
is Netscape 4.79.

Mike.
--
-----Plain text only please - attachments stripped on arrival.------
Copyright 2002       Mike Richardson, Room G98, Manchester Computing