Re: [Exim] local_interfaces and self=pass

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Christian Frömmel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] local_interfaces and self=pass
On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Christian Frömmel wrote:

> local_interfaces = 0.0.0.0.25 : 127.0.0.1.10025
>
> the first is clear, the second is for amavisd-new. Further I have the router:
>
> local:
>        driver = manualroute
>        domains = local.cluster.de
>        route_list = * 192.168.101.99 byname
>        self = pass
>        pass_router = system_aliases
>        transport = remote_smtp

> Without setting local_interfaces this router catches the virtual-interface
> (192.168.101.99) either as local (and passes to the system_aliases) or as
> remote (depending of which role the machine has). With "local_interfaces
> 0.0.0.0.25" set the router don't recognize when he has the
> virtual-interface.

I am not an expert on TCP/IP stacks. As I understand it, the 0.0.0.0
address means "any interface" if used when setting up TCP/IP
connections. However, Exim does not interpret it specially. If you set

local_interfaces = 0.0.0.0

Exim will recognize only that IP address as local. It does not interpret
it as "go away and find all the actual interfaces and recognize them".
However, if you do not set local_interfaces at all, Exim *does* attempt
to find all the interfaces on the host. Therefore, if the logic for
finding interfaces works, not setting local_interfaces should do what
you want.