Re: [Exim] IP coming directly from hell?

Author: Andreas Gietl
To: William Thompson
CC: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [Exim] IP coming directly from hell?
On Wednesday 09 April 2003 16:57, William Thompson wrote:
> > sorry for the HUGE debug-log at the end of this mail.
> >
> > I am experiencing a very strang problem on an exim-4.14 server.
> >
> > I just describe the situation:
> >
> > - client logs on from ip 80.136.241.103
> > - exim checks relay_from_hosts - but not looks up 80.136.241.103. It
> > looks up for 217.7.0.61.29 and then of course rejects the relay
>
>                 ^
> that's not an IP address.  Check your file and see if you meant
> 217.7.0.61/29 instead.  However, that's not a correct CIDR address.

yes. i know. that's why i always put the word ip in parentheses. Since this a
lookup in relay_from_hosts exim should not alter the adress it looks up. And
at the beginning and at the end of the connection the ip is output correctly.
Just for the lookup in the relayhosts it is altered. That is strange. That's
all i complain about;-)

> > I tried to figure out where this "IP" - which is none - comes from, but i
> > could not find a source for it.
> >
> > This happens on some remote-adresses, but not with all. But it is allways
> > the same "ip" that comes, maybe, directly from hell in to exim.
> >
> > These are a few important snippets from the configuration:
> >
> > hostlist relay_from_hosts = 127.0.0.1 : /etc/relayhosts
> >
> > /etc/relayhosts is a file of the format:
> >
> > 80.136.241.103 # 1049896544
> > 127.0.0.1 # 1049896544
>
> Looks ok, but why the "# 1049896544" afterwords?

timestamp. This works just fine. exim treats it as comment