[Exim] local_part check - illegal characters

Author: Odhiambo G. Washington
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] local_part check - illegal characters
Hello all,

I am writing to seek clarification on why a '/' is percieved as an illegal
character within a local part. Maybe it's in RFC (2)822 but I did not go
all the way and read it.
Perhaps someone can clarify this for me?? I have a specific case where this
is not illegal at all:

The check that I am referring to is this one, found in the default configure
file:

deny   local_parts  = ^.*[@%!/|] : ^\\.
          message      = The "local part" portion of the recipient address \
                         contains invalid characters.

And the case that I am also referring to is here:

http://www.tpc.int/faxbyemail.html

I am lost as to where the RFC compliance comes in, or is it a case of double
standards? ;-)

Have ye all a nice Monday

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington   <wash@???>  "The box said 'Requires
Wananchi Online Ltd.  www.wananchi.com      Windows 95, NT, or better,'

"In short, _?N is Richardian if, and only if, _?N is not Richardian."