Re: [Exim] problems setting up exim+spamassassin+cyrus imap

Author: Barry Pederson
To: Derek Stevenson
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] problems setting up exim+spamassassin+cyrus imap
Derek Stevenson wrote:
> --
> I tried the lmtp driver and got the following error message on startup:
>
> Starting exim: 2003-04-04 15:59:36 Exim configuration error in line 538:
> transport local_delivery: cannot find transport driver "lmtp"

Here's another recipe for setting up Exim+Cyrus, that uses TCP sockets and
the "smtp" driver instead of unix sockets and a "lmtp" driver - and is
what's worked for me. Setting up something like this probably won't
require recompiling Exim.

In /etc/services, add a line for lmtp, I picked port 26 out of my hat, but
any port number should work:
---------
lmtp         26/tcp    # Local Mail Transfer Protocol - for Cyrus
---------

In your cyrus.conf, uncomment the line about lmtp, and add "-a" as an
option so Cyrus doesn't expect exim to authenticate.  Cyrus will listen on
whatever port you specified as being "lmtp" in /etc/services:
----------
   lmtp        cmd="lmtpd -a" listen="lmtp" prefork=0
----------

In your Exim configure file, setup a transport like this. Exim will
connect to whatever port you specified as being "lmtp" in /etc/services.
cyrus_delivery:
driver = smtp
protocol = lmtp
hosts_override = true