[Exim] Migrating away from Qmail

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Avleen Vig
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: [Exim] Migrating away from Qmail
Well, that time in my life has finally come.
I've grown sick of Qmail for all the usual reasons :-)

I really want to move to Exim, but due to my excessive use of the
vpopmail add-on (for managing virtual domains under a single username
and it's own username/password db) I'm a little locked in.

I have an idea of what I need to to, but would appreciate advice from
anyone who has.. any :-)

I'm thinking of using an SQL backend for authentication. This will save
me from adding users to /etc/passwd, which I'm not too keen on doing.
Can I add all users to a MySQL database?
I'm still searching documentation on exactly this works.

I can also convert all my .qmail-* files to .forward files, so I guess
that's OK.
I can also continue to use EZMLM as far as I know, so I guess that's ok.

The one thing I'm most unsure about even after reading documentation, is
how exim handles virtual users.
The way that seems to make sense to me, if I can use an SQB database, is
to enter a username "foo@???", point it to a maildir and have
all mail for it just get delivered there. Is this realistic?

I'm making the assumption that when it does the delivery, Exim changes
UID to the UID of the owner of the Maildir? Otherwise how does it know
which UID to change to?

Finally, I'm not *entirely* certain how aliasing usernames in this
situation would work. I guess one way would be to enter then into the
SQL database, with the same homedir as the primary account.
A branching questioning from this would be "how would I set up a
catch-all/wildcard account" ?

If someone could answer these for me, or point me at the right parts of
the documentation to read, I would really appreciate it!

--
Avleen Vig                   "Say no to cheese-eating surrender-monkeys"
Systems Admin                "Fast, Good, Cheap. Pick any two."