Re: [Exim] Problem with from header

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: John (TJ) Penton
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Mike
Kopio: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] Problem with from header
On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Mike wrote:

> I am using exim-3.35 with evolution as my mailer and a wierd problem has
> arisen
>
> The email address on outgoing mail is being written as
> mike@<host>.localdomain in the recieved from header
>
> instead of mike@<my mail domain>
>
> in /etc/exim.conf I have
> qualify_domain = <my mail domain>
>
> however this does not seem to be working
>
> my from address is correct on mail, but because the recieved header is
> pointing to localhost, delivery fails when the other end does an mx
> lookup
>
> Anyone ny ideas about this

Firstly, you seem a little confused about headers and what MTAs look at:
The "Received:" header is not used anywhere in the main delivery process.
Mail Transfer Agents (such as Exim) use the envelope from and to
fields that are passed at SMTP time to decide how to deliver a message and
who to send an error to if necessary.
Mail User Agents use the headers in the email when deciding who to reply
to; specifically, they normally use the "From:" header.
The "Received:" header is merely an informational thing. Eact MTA that an
email passes through will normally (but not always) add such a header to
describe the state of the email it deals with. Specifically, it will
often list the envelope to field.

It sounds like your mail user agent is setting the From: and envelope from
domain to <host>.localdomain. Exim will not change this - qualify_domain
is only for mail that is received with unqualified envelope fields: ie.
completely without a domain.

If you want Exim to change mike@<host>.localdomain into mike@<my mail
domain>, you will need to use header re-writing, which is described in the
Exim documentation.

HTH

John

--
"Well, even if I'm in the moon, I needn't be face downwards all the time,"