Re: [Exim] Another small patch, please comment

Author: Philip Hazel
To: michael
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Another small patch, please comment
On 3 Apr 2003 michael@??? wrote:

> > Well, it's string_cat, not mem_cat ;)
> > Where does the problem occur for you?
>
> Already using pointer/length strings allows to use strings with NUL
> characters, and I need to do that in the SIEVE implementation when
> decoding MIME strings. This little patch is all I need for that. I don't
> think Exim uses strings with NUL characters anywhere, because that's the
> focus of MIME. It may become an issue if Exim offers a rfc2047_decode
> function, which it currently doesn't.

You are right in that Exim works with C-style strings that cannot
contain NUL characters, and so Nico is right in that strictly the
functions should therefore be called "strsomething". The reason there is
a length parameter on the string_cat() function is so that it can be
used to pick out substrings.

Hmm. I'm not sure what I think about the patch. You are probably right
about the efficiency, and for that reason it is perhaps a good idea
anyway. I'll think about it.