Re: [Exim] Auth SMTP Relay

Author: Shawn P. Garbett
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Auth SMTP Relay
On Thursday 03 April 2003 12:52 am, Kirill Miazine wrote:
> Shawn P. Garbett wrote:
> > I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out the following. Can anyone
> > tell me what I'm missing besides a brain and a clue?
> >
> > The configuration should allow relaying when authenticated.
> >
> > I can authenticate on the local domain.
>
> Authenticate and replay or simply relay without authentication?

Authenticate. Relay is disabled outside the localdomain, but I want to allow
it for authentiated hosts: The server responded: "relaying to
<listman@???> prohibited by administrator "

I use the encode perl script for the user/password and do a
"AUTH PLAIN [encode64 string here]" It returns success.

The only strangeness there is that the encode instructions say do it this way
encode '\0user=\0password", It then decodes it as $2 & $3. I have to do it
like encode 'user\0password' to get it to work, which decodes as $1 and $2. I
figure I can fiddle with testing this after I get it to allow authentication
outside the local domain.

> No SMTP AUTH mechanism is announced to be supported in reply to EHLO. In
> Exim 4 you'd set auth_advertise_hosts to something.

In 3 it's auth_always_advertise=true under the main section. I tried this with
both settings. No use.

Shawn