[Exim] Exim 4.12 and Spamassassin problem

Author: John Whelan
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Exim 4.12 and Spamassassin problem
I am attempting to implement spamd/spamc (SpamAssassin-2.51) with exim 4.12 on
an intel based server that is running SUSE 8.1. When I send a test message to
the server, I get the error message shown below and while I have seen reference
on the web to spamd crashing, it does not crash in my case. The test message has
only got "test" in the subject heading.
I am confident that the combination of spamd/spamc is OK because at command line
level if I submit a test message to spamd via spamc the tests are successful. I
have already successfully got spamc/spamd running with Exim 4.12 on a Solaris
based Sun server with an identical configuration. The configuration for the
spam assassin transport is also shown below.

Please advise if there is a solution to my problem.

-----------------error message------------------
An error was detected while processing a file of BSMTP input.
The error message was:
421 Lost incoming connection
The SMTP transaction started in line 0.
The error was detected in line 3.
The rest of the batch was abandoned.
421 Lost incoming connection
Transaction started in line 0
Error detected in line 3
----------------end of error message-------------

The spamcheck transport is
--------------spam assassin transport-----------
# Spam Assassin
spamcheck:
    driver = pipe
    command = /usr/local/exim/bin/exim -oMr spam-scanned -bS
    use_bsmtp = true
    transport_filter = usr/bin/spamc
    home_directory = "/tmp"
    current_directory = "/tmp"
    # must use a privileged user to set $received_protocol on the way back in!
    user = root
    group = mail
    log_output = true
    return_fail_output = true