[Exim] moving from sendmail to exim

Author: Steffen Kaiser
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] moving from sendmail to exim
Hello,

some people advocated to move our sendmail setup to something more state
of the art, like exim or postfix. We are running sendmail with users,
aliases and .forward-files storred in LDAP; and using the virtuser and
genricstable feature of sendmail. All this seems to be doable with exim as
well, although I haven't found nor successfully google'ed any sample for
this exact setup.

The problem I see is that we use MIMEDefang
(http://www.roaringpenguin.com/mimedefang/) to process each mail just
right during the SMTP dialogue, for e.g. virus scanning, modifying
recipient list, denying mail deliviery, replacing attachements by URLs,
adding/removing headers, performing a Spam check, quarantine mails
a.s.o.
The nice and easy thing with MIMEDefang is that you have full control over
the conditions and actions as they are perl functions getting called at
certain circumstances, e.g. when a MAIL FROM or RCPT TO line has been
encountered, or when all the mail body is acquired (but before the the
SMTP dialogue returns any success/failure code) etc., also MIMEDefang
acquires all possible information about the mail delivery process, such as
relay, time, queueID etc.pp.

Is there something similiar possible with exim? MIMEDefang does not seem
to interwork with exim itself, as it relys on the Milter API of sendmail.
Maybe there is already a project to hook MIMEDefang to exim??

BTW: Why happens that when you search for "mimedefang" via
http://www.exim.org/cgi-bin/htsearch and via