[Exim] small problem with quote_ldap

Author: Bjurstrom, Eric
To: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: [Exim] small problem with quote_ldap
Hi, haven't submitted anything to this list before, so if this is a bad
place for this question I apologize in advance.

I have a couple exim servers relaying mail to an exchange server and would
like to set them up accepting mail only for addresses that are valid in
exchange. I tried setting it up to do ldap lookups but have met with only
limited success. It works great for the main mail boxes, but for
"otherMailbox" it has to be able to look for smtp$user@domain.

I tried ${quote_ldap:smtp\\$$local_part@$domain} and
${quote_ldap:smtp\$$local_part@$domain}

neither work, exim_paniclog returns

failed to expand . . . . while checking a list: $ not followed by letter,
digit, or {

Just for kicks I removed the check that gives that error from the source
(don't know enough programming to do much else) but it still doesn't work.

This sound like a limitation of exim or am I just doing some thing wrong?
The main work-around I can think of is to just script out ldap searches to
yank all the addresses out and put them in file for exim. Other suggestions
or comments are more than welcome.

Eric Bjurstrom
Unix Systems Administrator
Cogent Communications, Inc