Re: [Exim] HELO acl

Author: Philip Hazel
To: William Thompson
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] HELO acl
On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, William Thompson wrote:

> My idea was to drop (instead of deny) spammers that use HELOs of aol or
> hotmail or my own IP address at HELO time instead of MAIL time.

But what is the advantage of dropping them at HELO time? You can equally
well drop them at RCPT time. That is more flexible, because you can have
exceptions, such as letting through mail to postmaster. Anyway, dropping
the connection will often just lead to them trying again. Better to send
5xx to all the RCPTs.

But if people want the patch, I don't have a strong reason for not
putting it in the code.