Re: [Exim] exim 4.14 build PAM problems (fails for shadow pa…

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
CC: Hanasaki JiJi, Andreas Metzler
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim 4.14 build PAM problems (fails for shadow passwd)
On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 02:26:57AM -0600, Hanasaki JiJi wrote:
> Just built exim 4.14 on debian sarge with kernel 2.4.20 and
> authentication is failing with PAM. The following lines are in syslog.
> Make install created a /usr/sbin/exim linked to the actual binary that
> is rws for root and running as id "mail" for ps -ef

> user id = hanasaki
> user id# = 1000

> ========= SYSLOG ENTRIES BELOW ============

[...]
> Mar 29 20:01:44 portal exim(pam_unix)[6107]:
> authentication failure;
> logname= uid=8 euid=8 tty= ruser= rhost= user=hanasaki

With pam_unix only root can check passwords of other users. You could
run exim as root (exim_user = root) but I wouldn't recommend it
because of the security implications.

You can work around this issue either by mirroring the passwords in
another file that is accesible for mail:mail and use an lsearch lookup
or you can try pam_exim.
                cu andreas