Re: [Exim] Scanfilter

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Tim Jackson
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] Scanfilter
On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 10:06:12 +0100 Trond wrote:

> Can someone help me on suggestions/experience on free or commercial
> scanfilter(virus,worms) to include in exim.

I personally have experience with two, which are:

1. Clam Antivirus ( http://clamav.elektrapro.com/ ) which is free, and

2. Sophos Antivirus ( http://www.sophos.com/ ) which is commercial.

In both cases I've used Exiscan ( http://duncanthrax.net/exiscan ) to be
the interface between Exim and the scanners.

I've had good experience with both. On a personal level, I'm quite happy
to use Clam Antivirus, because it gets rid of most of the junk but if an
odd virus slips through, it doesn't really matter. However, in a
commercial environment or where I was providing a service to clients, I'd
probably use Sophos. It's not very expensive and is well-supported (I
found it a refreshing change to be able to call up a company's support
line and be speaking within 30 seconds to someone who knows what a C
include was, without having to fight through layers of "did you click on
the control panel icon?"-type support!)

AFAIK, Clam doesn't feature a MIME decoding engine, whereas Sophos does,
but this isn't necessarily a major issue, especially if you use a recent
version of Exiscan where there are fairly comprehensive options for
deciding what to do with MIME messages.

Because a lot of people have been asking about spam/virus scanning (and it
can seem a bit complex when you start having all these different bits like
Exim/Exiscan/Sophos/Sophie/libsavi to understand), I wrote up a document
explaining how to set it up which, from the feedback I've had, seems to
have been useful to others, so you might want to give it a look over if
you're thinking of doing this:

http://www.timj.co.uk/linux/exim.php

(scroll down and look for "Spam/Virus scanning with Exim 4.x")

Tim