Re: For exim sake! Re: [Exim] Reaction to rude 554 greeting

Author: Exim Users Mailing List
To: Harald Schueler
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: For exim sake! Re: [Exim] Reaction to rude 554 greeting
[ On Wednesday, March 19, 2003 at 07:11:21 (+0100), Harald Schueler wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: For exim sake! Re: [Exim] Reaction to rude 554 greeting
>
> Doesn't have to be a fixed literal address.

I don't think you really have any good excuse for not preserving
it/them in the case you described.

If it's not a hard-coded address that you're losing control over then
you can move it to be an alias, or even a complete second physical
interface, on the replacement machine.

If it's not a fixed literal IP number "hard-coded" in user
configurations then it must have been one or more names in the DNS and
any IP# can have multiple hostnames pointing at it (and then of course
there should be multiple PTRs as well, one for each name).

You can also still use logging on a packet filter to pass packets
through but keep track of who's using the old address and then get them
to update at your, and their, leisure -- i.e. without additional support
costs.

> Anyway, the only application I can devise for a 5xx on connect is to
> give an explanatory message, and this only works when the sending mailer
> bounces the mail. If 554 does not make the mail bounce, we would have to
> have another status code for this application, 666 maybe... 8).

ROTLF! :-)

--
                                Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods@???>;           <woods@???>