Re: [Exim] problem with Exim version 4.12

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Sujit Choudhury
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] problem with Exim version 4.12
On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Sujit Choudhury wrote:

> In Exim 4.12 route_internal_bydns is as follows:
> route_internal_bydns:
>   driver = manualroute
>   domains = ! +local_domains
>   route_list = *.wmin.ac.uk $domain bydns ; \
>     *.westminster.ac.uk $domain bydns ; \
>     psi.org.uk $domain bydns
>   self = reroute: mtahost.wmin.ac.uk
>   transport = internal_smtp
>   # To deal with "root@jaguar" where MX record points to us

> Is there something in 2.xx that does not work in 4.xx any more as far
> as this kind of routing is concerned?

Yes. The manualroute router in Exim 4 does _host_ lookups. It is a
"cleaner" design, in that it routes from a domain to a host. In Exim 2
and 3 there was confusion, because you could - and you did - make the
equivalent router to MX lookups. So what you got was "route this domain
as if it were that domain". I haven't really got a clean way of doing
that in Exim 4. There are some ideas on the Wish List, but it hasn't
ever been urgently pressing...

Looking at your router above, if you really want *.westminster.ac.uk and
psi.org.uk to be router using those names via the DNS, then you can use
something like:

xxx:
driver = dnslookup
domains = *.westminster.ac.uk : psi.org.uk
self = reroute: mtahost.wmin.ac.uk
transport = internal_smtp

This is untested, but I think it does the same job.