[Exim] question on DB file sizes

Author: John Jetmore
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] question on DB file sizes
I doubt this is really specific to exim, but it's the only place I really
use dbm files much. I have some dbm files that reside on an NFS server.
I was testing having them be built in /tmp and then copied to the NFS
partition vs. building them in place on the NFS partition. Take a look at
the different file sizes:

-rw-------    1 root     root          499 Mar 18 10:37 db.auth-users
-rw-------    1 root     bin         24576 Mar 18 10:41 db.auth-users.db
-rw-------    1 root     root        12288 Mar 18 10:41 db.auth-users.db-20752

db.auth-users is the text file. it contains comments and the following
text:

jetmore@???:foooof

(which was a test username and password, now turned off). the .db file
was the version built on the NFS server. .db-20752 was the version built
in /tmp and copied back to the NFS server. The files were built with
'exim_dbmbuild -nozero' from the 4.14 distribution (I also tested it with
the 3.36 distribution and got the same results). According to my dbdump
prog these files contain the same data. Here's the DB version string
reported from -bV:

Berkeley DB: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 3.3.11: (July 12, 2001)

Any idea what's going on here? Any idea if building on a different
filesystem type than the one you'll be reading from is a bad idea? I
don't see why it would be, just don't want to do something stupid.

Thanks
--John