Re: [Exim] Reaction to rude 554 greeting

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Matthew Byng-Maddick
A: exim-users
Temas nuevos: Re: [Exim] when to reject (was: Reaction to rude 554 greeting)
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Reaction to rude 554 greeting
On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 10:33:34AM -0500, Richard Welty wrote:
> however, Giuliano, you don't seem to understand the RFCs at all.
>
> you fail to connect, or you get a 4xx, it's ok to go to the secondary MX.
>
> 5xx means quit now. that's it. end of story. that's what it's always meant,
> so long as i can remember (my experience with SMTP goes back to 1982, so
> that's how long i can remember.)

You will also note, then, that the 5xx on connect or after the HELO has
been illegal (other than the illegal argument) since about that time. This
is for precisely this reason. (Remember: you MUST accept a postmaster@
address).

If I can't send mail to postmaster, then your MX is breaking the RFCs, and
therefore you can't expect RFC compliance from the other end.

If you think it's a sane thing to do, think again. It is stupid to do a
rejection before RCPT under any circumstances.

MBM