Re: [Exim] Reaction to rude 554 greeting

Author: Dean Brooks
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Reaction to rude 554 greeting
On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 11:25:36AM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:

> > If this is okay with you, I'll see if I can come up with a patch.
>
> Sure. Go ahead. The biggest problem will be choosing a name for the
> option. :-)
>
> connect_treat_5xx_as_4xx

What does the author of Exim think about this option at this point?
Last I saw, his comments were that this was a bad idea.

So far, I only see a couple of people who are wanting this unusual
treatment. Wouldn't this possibly be better left to those individuals
making their own patch and redistributing among themselves than adding
this sort of stuff to the main distribution?

If we are going to start treating specific error codes differently,
I'd much rather see some generic way of specifying a result code tied
to a specific ACL. Even then, I don't know how useful that would be.

Is there any precedent on this issue with Sendmail, Qmail or other
mailers?

Regards,

Dean Brooks
dean@???