Re: [Exim] Reaction to rude 554 greeting

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Exim Users Mailing List
A: Giuliano Gavazzi
Cc: Exim Users Mailing List
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Reaction to rude 554 greeting
[ On Monday, March 17, 2003 at 00:36:14 (+0000), Giuliano Gavazzi wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [Exim] Reaction to rude 554 greeting
>
> I am sorry, but what's your problem with secondary MXes?

I have no fundamental problem with secondary MX hosts (or multiple equal
priority ones, or any other combination) [[ though anyone thinking they
need one had better do a whole bunch more thinking and research before
they just go ahead and implement one because 99.9% of domains certainly
do not ever need any more than one MX host!!!! ]]

What I have a major problem with are client-SMTP implementations that do
not obey the rules for handling 5xx response codes.

> Look, suppose the primary MX is not reachable for any reason,

A 5xx SMTP greeting response from the primary MX is not in _any_ way
equivalent to a reachability problem, nor is it just "any" reason.

A 5xx SMTP greeting response from _any_ host, MX or otherwise, means the
current message delivery attempt _MUST_ be failed, and an error bounce
must be returned to the sender.

--
                                Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods@???>;           <woods@???>