Re: [Exim] Reaction to rude 554 greeting

Góra strony
Autor: Suresh Ramasubramanian
Dla: Exim Users
Temat: Re: [Exim] Reaction to rude 554 greeting
At 12:37 AM 3/17/2003 +0000, Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:
5xx mostly demands that if you retry, do so later, *manually*. What it
>>does say is that the remote domain refuses to accept delivery of the
>>current message.
>
>what current message? [BTW, the connection might have been just a
>sender/callout verify]

the message (I don't care if it was a callout, a mail sent from outlook
express, whatever) which, when sent, was rejected with a 5xx response.

>I am sorry, but until the intention of delivering a message has been
>stated, the error cannot mean that the domain refuses to accept *the*
>delivery.

Connection to a host on port 25, implies some attempt to deliver, even if
the attempt is partial (such as a callout).

>   To provide reliable
>    mail transmission, the SMTP client MUST be able to try (and retry)
>    each of the relevant addresses in this list in order, until a
>    delivery attempt succeeds.  However, there MAY also be a configurable
>    limit on the number of alternate addresses that can be tried.  In any
>    case, the SMTP client SHOULD try at least two addresses.

Did the RFC above say what kind of error it is talking about? In this
context, I can only conclude that they are referring to 4xx

         srs