Re: [Exim] [exiscanusers] [other stuff] [we don't really wan…

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Nico Erfurth
Para: David Woodhouse
CC: Tom Kistner, exiscanusers, Exim Users
Tópicos Novos: [Exim] Disappearing Mail
Assunto: Re: [Exim] [exiscanusers] [other stuff] [we don't really want to see the original subject line anyway, do we?] [yes we do :)] exilist 0.2 -exim based listmanager
David Woodhouse wrote:

>>I like subject-tags, they make filtering easy in simple mailclients, and

                                                    ^^^^^^

>>they allow me to easily see a private reply to a listmail in my inbox.

                           ^^^

> So if I hadn't Cc'd the list -- if this was a private reply... would it
> really have landed in your inbox? You're receiving two copies of this
> mail. Does one end up in the list folder and one in your inbox?

Yep, that's how I like it =)
I filter mails coming from the list by specific list-headers, so if you
CC me, the mail will go into the list folder, AND my Inbox

> If I know you're on vacation and likely to read the list with the 'D'

I'm never on vacation ;)

> key when you get back, and I bounce a message to you or explicitly Cc
> you in a reply to make sure you see it.... do you get the mail in your
> inbox as I intended, or does your filter rule lose it in the mailing
> list folder due to a false positive?

It will go to my inbox.

> Filtering shouldn't be done in mailclients. Filtering should be done in
> mail _delivery_ agents. And if you actually want it to be reliable, it
> should be done on the SMTP reverse-path alone; since no other method
> (that I know of) does not have false positives.

I personaly don't like to filter on Subject Tags anymore, but many
people do so.
I'm filtering with exim-filters and I think I know how to (ab)use them

> I'm aware that there are some people out there who are forced to use
> broken setups where filtering cannot be done at the server, and where
> they can't filter on sensible things even in the client.

I think many people don't even know how filtering works ;)

> But if people have such broken systems and the only thing they can
> filter on is something unreliable, then they may as well be filtering
> with the equally-unreliable method of looking at To: and Cc: headers,
> which at least doesn't obscure the Subject: line for everyone else.
>
> I wouldn't argue that a mailing list should pander to _those_ people at
> the expense of obscuring the _real_ information in the Subject line for
> everyone else. And I certainly wouldn't argue that any mailing list
> software should enable such bogosity by _default_ for new lists.

You should read my last post again.
I wrote, that I like to see private replies(CCs) to listmails in my
inbox, this allows me to easily distinguish between replies to
listmails, and private mail from the same person.

I can see "Ok, this one was list-related", nothing more, and this helps
me to manage my mails.

Nico