Re: [Exim] OT: TLS encryption strength

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Matthew Byng-Maddick
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] OT: TLS encryption strength
On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 03:16:41PM +0100, Nico Erfurth wrote:
> I'm not an crypto-expert, but I think the general problem with ESTMP-TLS
> is that some of the text is known.

So? Any non-naive use of a well-designed cipher makes a known-plaintext
attack as easy as breaking the cipher.

> So one can MAYBE run a known-plaintext attack against the encryption,
> but like I said, I'm not an expert in this field :)

As long as you don't use RC4 naively, no. If you do, then all bets are off
and it's your own fault, SSL is reasonably good in this regard, I believe.

Basically, it amounts to trying to predict the rest of the pad from the
bits you know. It doesn't help you at all.

MBM (tried to keep this off-list)