Re: [Exim] How to hold system filter

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] How to hold system filter
On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 09:20:16 +0000 (GMT), Philip Hazel
<ph10@???> wrote:
>On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Marc Haber wrote:
>> when updating a program that is called from a system filter, it is
>> generally a good idea to stop the system filter from being called
>> while the work is in progress. But of course, one would like to have
>> the server continue accepting mail.
>
>If the program is just one file, the way to do this is to install the
>new version by renaming, which is an atomic action in Unix.

If I trust the new version to take productive load immediately. I
usually tend to hold all deliveries, put a selection of test messages
in the queue and have these delivered manually with -M through the new
filter. If the new filter passed that test "in place", normal
deliveries are resumed.

>> When I set hold_domains, the message is accepted and put on the queue.
>> But the system filter is called in the progress.
>
>That is true. A delivery process is started - and if there are any
>recipients that are NOT in hold_domains, those addresses will be
>delivered.

And the delivery process then runs the system filter.

>> Is there any more easy way to achive the desired behavior of incoming
>> messages being put on the queue without the system filter being
>> invoked, while invoking the system filter on these messages before
>> actually delivering them?
>
>Set "control = queue_only" in the ACL. But then this will apply to all
>the addresses in the message.

That shouldn't be a problem. With that ACL, nothing is done with the
message and no system filter is run?

Greetings
Marc