Re: [Exim] exim 4.12 strange logging behavior when logging t…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim 4.12 strange logging behavior when logging to syslog
On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Marc Haber wrote:

> exim behaves strange when I try to modify the logging behavior. For
> example, when I set log_file_path = :syslog (logging to default path,
> and syslog), the majority of log messages is written to syslog only.

What exactly do you mean by "majority"? Does that mean you get some
messages to the file? That would be really weird. I have made a note to
check this out.

> Exims behavior is also a little funny, if the daemon is not restarted
> after modifying the settings. In that case, the daemon seems to
> continue to operate with the old settings (and the daemon seems to
> write the reception log lines), while the childs doing the actual
> delivery operate with the new settings, causing the delivery log lines
> to end up in a different file than the reception log lines.

That is a natural consequence of the way Exim works. If you modify the
configuration file without re-starting the daemon, you will always get
anomalous effects like that. The daemon continues with the old
configuration, and reception processes are just forked from the daemon.
However, there is a re-exec for delivery processes (to regain privilege)
so they will use the new configuration.