[Exim] rate-limit for forking, sort of

Author: Alexander Koch
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] rate-limit for forking, sort of
hiya.

I have a nasty problem with my box at home. It is running
the Exim4 Debian version with quite some stuff compiled in,
and I am running SpamAssassin from within the system filter
and Perl, based on what Hilko Bengen posted here some weeks
ago.

Further to this I do UUCP here at home and all these batches
are rsmtp ones, so I understand that when uuxqt runs for
every batch there is 'rsmtp' (i.e., Exim) started for it.
This is really killing my box completely, loads of 80 and
more, does not look good, believe me. ;-\ And this even
though I do have uuxqt running every 5 mails only and I have
load limits in my exim.conf so it only gets queued.

Does anyone of you have an idea how to improve that? I
should state that I have a -q1m exim running in the back
which was the killer here, it seems. But why?

Can I possibly set 'queue only' in the call to rsmtp? Or
should I go the whole way and do batched smtp so I have more
mails in one batch (i.e., per forked exim)?

Thanks,
Alexander

--
Alexander Koch <koch@???> / ako4-ripe
IP Engineering, Tiscali International Network