Re: [Exim] exim failing to find users

Author: Phil Chambers
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim failing to find users
On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 14:29:28 +0000 (GMT) Philip Hazel <ph10@???> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Nico Erfurth wrote:
>
> > > The system uses NIS for the password and group files.
>
> > You should use a nis-lookup somewhere in your acl, that evaluates to true
> > all the time and defers otherwise, or use a router that does a nis-lookup,
> > so it defers on failure. The getpwnam interface has no return-code for
> > temporary errors.
> >
> > Phil recently added a FAQ entry about this.
>
> Something else you can do to alleviate NIS problems is to set
> finduser_retries to something, say 4 or 5.

Thanks for both ideas. I will try setting "finduser_retries = 5". Since my
configuration should have rejected unknown users before getting to the stage of
doing a getpwnam this should not add any extra load. The ACL idea would involve an
extra lookup for every message and my current binary was compiled without NIS
lookups enabled.

Phil.
Phil Chambers (postmaster@???)
University of Exeter