Re: [Exim] SMTP AUTH with PAM on Debian/Woody (howto?)

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Andreas Metzler
A: Exim User Group
Cc: Andreas Metzler
Asunto: Re: [Exim] SMTP AUTH with PAM on Debian/Woody (howto?)
--
On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 12:22:31PM +0100, Andreas Gietl wrote:
> On Sunday 02 March 2003 10:43, Andreas Metzler wrote:
>> With eximv4 you could use a helper binary that runs as root to use PAM
>> to check the password
>> server_condition = "${run {/usr/lib/exim4/check_user $2 $3} {1}{0}}"
>> but passing along sensitive information (the password) as argument to
>> a command is something you don't want to do. - Anybody can see it,
>> using "ps auxw".

> this is a hack that in my opinion is quite ineffective.
> Why call a helper binary, that calls a pam-module, that calls again a helper
> binary. By this way you need to have 2 binaries with suid-bit set.

> So i think the best approach is just using a pam-modul. Since pam_exim is just
> a modified pam_unix module it should be pretty secure, so there is actually
> no need to use the helper binary approach. Except you don't want to compile
> exim with pam-support.

[...]

Using the helper-binary approach has some favours:
* Works with any PAM-modul, not just pam_unix-type.
* Installing and keeping up-to-date is much less work. - What if there
  is a security issue with pam_unix, I'll have to find and fix it in
  pam_exim, too and have to install the fixed version.
* It's the least intrusive, simplest solution.
              cu andreas