Re: [Exim] Some kind of mailserver stress test needed

Top Pagina
Auteur: Yann Golanski
Aan: Dominik Schulz
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Some kind of mailserver stress test needed
--
Quoth Dominik Schulz on Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 15:40:30 +0100
> I am using exim 3.35 (GNU/Debian stable) and looking for some kind of
> mailserver stresstest. I want to evaluate how my mailserver scales under
> high load and how much mail-traffic it can handle.
> I've searched the web as well as the list-archives but i couldn't find
> anything that goes into that direction.
> Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

Easy to do.

Write a small piece of C code that forks N processes with 100 < N < 1000
and let each of those process send one mail to the server. The body of
the mail can be anything but I suggest you use something like ``head X
/dev/urand'' where X is a poison time serie. Make the mean of X
centered around 20k of data and let it have a maximum value of (say)
50megs with a small variance so that most (80%) of the mails are small.
Do not use a Pathetic Excuse for a Real programming Language or any
other scripting language or you will kill the sending box.

The find a couple of PCs to hammer your server with it. It should take
you less than a day to code and test. Then you have a mailbommer of
kings.

--
yann@???                  -=*=-                      www.kierun.org
    PGP:   009D 7287 C4A7 FD4F 1680  06E4 F751 7006 9DE2 6318