[Exim] Exim traffic is really so big?

Author: Jose de Paula Eufrasio Junior
To: Lista Exim
Subject: [Exim] Exim traffic is really so big?
--
I'm running Exim 4.12 with a multi-domain/mysql setup, and amavis
checking all email (incoming and outcoming). There're 13500 emails
addresses in my sql table.

The problem is, looking at the eximstats reports I was surprised by a
420GB traffic in amavis transport. Looking below I found an user with
111GB traffic. In a period of 24 hours!

Actually, my setup does the following:

All messages get thru the amavis router/transport
-> amavis opens a new exim stance to deliver the scanned email
-> messages with virus are blocked and messages are sent to virusalert,
sender and recipient (even offsite senders)
-> messages that are clean pass to the other routers

SpamAssassin router/transport is called just for especific users (just
two, actually)
-> one new instance of exim is called to do the spam check with
spamc/spamd

virtual_localdelivery does all the mysql query and delivers the local
emails

virtual_forward router handles aliases and domain aliases

remote_smtp sends out the non local mail.

----------

My question is: eximstats generates the statistics based on the log
file, so it computes messages that are blocked by black lists or other
reasons, or any message that doesn't get to the user's mailbox? If not,
why this giant traffic in amavis? And how some users have a lot of
traffic (ie 111GB) and just 100M in their mailboxes?

That traffic is killing my machine too (load average gets to 80/90
sometimes...)

thanks.

[]s
Junior