Re: [Exim] exim queue - a problem

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Robert Heron
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim queue - a problem
On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Robert Heron wrote:

> I use Exim 4.12 on FreeBSD 4.7.
> Sometimes one user sends one message to many recepients and then I often see
> that the message stays in queue for long time.
> This happens when one of the recepients has problem with his host/network
> etc and the message cannot be delivered to him.
>
> And then exim delays delivering emails to other recepients on other hosts
> until it delivers mail to this one problematic recepient.

No, Exim doesn't work like that. What is your evidence for this? What do
you see on the Exim log?

If there is a long delay in *routing* to one of the recipients (e.g. a
long timeout on a DNS lookup), then there will be a delay before any
deliveries are done, because Exim does all the routing before any of the
deliveries, but it will deliver to the other recipients as soon as it
has routed all the addresses. The message will then remain on the queue
with just one (or however many) undelivered recipients.