RE: [Exim] regex and email validation

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: Hämäläinen Jori, exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] regex and email validation
At 11:13 +0000 2003/02/24, Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:
>Anyway, I would not use a check on senders that restricts its format
>beyond what exim does by default, as I expect exim to be compliant
>with the RFCs.
>
>Giuliano

but then again you get clever guys on the net (whoever programs VB
must be...) giving examples of faulty email address valildation:

http://stardeveloper.com/articles/display.html?article=2002012601&page=1

Server Side Email Addresses Validation using VBScript
by . << I would have reported the author if it had been there!

[...]
if InStr("abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_-.", c) <= 0 and not IsNumeric(c) then
      isitvalid = false
      exit function
[...]

and again:

If the value of variable "c" is not a substring of string
"abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_-." (all valid characters in an email
address), then the email address passed is invalid and [...]

I think the invalid is the author of that piece of code, he and his
progenie are responsible for all the times that I tried to enter a
user+something local part in a form's email box.

You can bet I will register to that site to post a comment and hurl
abuse at this anonymous "coder".

[ah, this is more like me!]

Giuliano
--
H U M P H
    || |||

Java & C++ Server/Client/Human Interface applications on MacOS - MacOS X
http://www.humph.com/