Re: [Exim] Maybe a Bug in AUTH LOGIN

Author: Marc Langer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Maybe a Bug in AUTH LOGIN
On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 17:06:31 +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
> I am definitely NOT enthusiastic about this. I was equally
> unenthusiastic about the other client that screwed up the authentication
> protocol in SMTP, the one that expected "AUTH=LOGIN" to be advertised.

It is not only one client :-(
I know it definitivly of Calypso and some Outlook versions.
Netscape/Mozilla is said to expect this in some situations, too (depends
on the other authentication mechanisms offered by the server).

I've read that AUTH=LOGIN was used by Netscape before RFC 2554 was published.

You asked about how this is implemented in other servers some time ago.
Exchange handles it in this manner:

250-X-EXPS GSSAPI NTLM LOGIN
250-X-EXPS=LOGIN
250-AUTH GSSAPI NTLM LOGIN