Re: [Exim] TLS on a port other than 25

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Mark Edwards
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] TLS on a port other than 25
On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, Mark Edwards wrote:

> Well, what happens is I can connect either with STARTTLS or not to port 25,
> and everything is logged normally.

That doesn't sound right. You never "connect with STARTTLS" to an SMTP
port. You connect, and subsequently issue a STARTTLS command, and *then*
do the encryption stuff.

> I can connect normally to port 26 and it
> is logged, but if I try to use STARTTLS on any port other than 25, the
> connection times out and nothing ever gets logged.

I suspect that your client is not in fact connecting normally and then
issuing STARTTLS, but instead is assuming an "smtps" connection, where
there is no STARTTLS command; instead, the encryption negotiation
happens right away, without any preliminaries.

Exim does support this with the -tls-on-connect option.

> Has anyone seen a STARTTLS connection on a port other than 25 actually work?

Yes. That's the way my tests work. But that is true SMTP with STARTTLS.