Re: [Exim] relaying mail inbound to a LAN

Top Pagina
Auteur: John
Aan: Jeff Hahn
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] relaying mail inbound to a LAN
On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 08:03:57AM -0600, Jeff Hahn wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, John wrote:
>
> > When mail for laptop.sample.whatever arrives at freebsd.sample.whatever
> > I want it to hand it off to laptop.sample.whatever if laptop is
> > connected, otherwise keep it in mailstore (for say 30 days) then bounce
> > if it isnt handed off after that time period.
> >

> UUCP (over TCP/IP) is your friend! I know that several will suggest
> fetchmail or other solutions and that UUCP isn't the easiest to set up,
> but if you take the time to figure it out, you'll have a reliable, robust
> solution.

The problem I have presently is just getting the server to accept mail
for the laptop, then to deliver it. At this moment, the laptop is
connected to the lan permanently. The problem is that when mail arrives
at freebsd.sample.whatever (the server) for me@???,
the mail either goes into an infinite loop then bounces with a too many
hops error, or is tejected at the smtp session level with a 553
(depending upon how much I have messed up the configure file)

I have found many examples of routing mail to an *external* site but
first arriving at the server machine, then routing to another machine
*on the LAN* after parsing the From: header. I thought I could do it
with a rewrite then sending to a domain literal (hosts is correctly
configured) but get unroutable mail domain if i have a rewrite from the
server to the laptop (like this:

*@laptop.sample.whatever me@???

Maybe i need some router operative for this. I can understand router as
far as procmail goes but only a very basic level. (and i mean basic!)

cheers
--
John - jfm@??? - http://www.reiteration.net/~jfm
For PGP public key finger jfm@??? or see webpage