Re: [Exim] Exim 3 vs Exim 4...does it matter to a newbie?

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Tony Earnshaw
Para: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [Exim] Exim 3 vs Exim 4...does it matter to a newbie?
lør, 2003-02-15 kl. 19:50 skrev Andy Firman:

> Somebody made a comment in another thread that Exim 3 and 4
> are VERY different.

Firstly, I agree with what the others have said to date. I've used Exim
as standard MTA since 1.9x, use 4.12 with built-in SA-Exim Spamassassin
now and would say that I couldn't imagine a more highly configurable or
=elegant= MTA than Exim 4.

There's a world of difference between 3 and 4.

> I am about to learn Exim. Got the O'Reilly book right here next to me....
> Exim: The Mail Transfer Agent. Looks like it is based on Exim 3.
>
> Did I waste my money on the book?

I never bought the book, but I'll be one of the first customers for the
Exim 4 book, when it comes out.

> Should I learn Exim 3 anyway?

There wouldn't be any point if you're going to start on 4, since the
learning curve is fairly steep and Exim 3 is at a dead end. With Exim 4
you can adopt solutions that just are not possible with 3.

> Are the fundamentals the same? (important question to me)

Yes. But it seems to me that lessons learned with all previous versions
and feedback gained from users with experience of many different MTAs
have been plowed (USA spelling :) back into Exim 4 to give it many
features that earlier versions - and "competitors" - just don't offer.

> Is Exim 4 very different because of advanced features?

Definitely. Very many, in fact. Just one recent eye-opener was the
Sendmail admin (another list) who couldn't MTA-block cracker attacks
from spammers on his mail server. He reckoned he was getting 3,000+ per
day and was looking at IPTABLES options. With Exim 4 that's a cinch.
Looking through the Exim 3 spec.txt, I can't see how that would be
possible with v3 - and that's just one of very many examples.

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw