Re: [Exim] TLS on a port other than 25

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Mark Edwards
To: Giuliano Gavazzi, exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] TLS on a port other than 25
on 2/15/03 1:37 PM, Giuliano Gavazzi at eximlists@??? wrote:

> At 12:51 -0800 2003/02/15, Mark Edwards wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Well, what happens is I can connect either with STARTTLS or not to port 25,
>> and everything is logged normally. I can connect normally to port 26 and it
>> is logged, but if I try to use STARTTLS on any port other than 25, the
>> connection times out and nothing ever gets logged.
>>
>> My conclusion is that a STARTTLS connection on a port other than 25 (I've
>> also tried 587) isn't even making it to Exim. The real question is where is
>> it failing? Is it failing at the client (doubtful, because I don't think
>> the client would time-out, and I've tried on two different clients on two
>> different OS's) or is the connection being intercepted somewhere before it
>> gets to Exim?
>>
>> Has anyone seen a STARTTLS connection on a port other than 25 actually work?
>>

> It is making it to exim (how would it not?), only that you will not
> see it in a normal log. It seem that "most" clients (I am basing this
> on 1 (one) client... and all the failures reported) will consider
> ports either than 25 for SSL, that is tls-on-connect. A tcpdump shows
> garbage thrown at poor exim, and the connection lost as the SSL
> session fails to establish. [test done on port 26 with Mail.app on
> MacOSX]
>
> Giuliano

Mail.app is one of the clients I'm using to test, coincidentally. I'm not
quite sure what you're saying. You mean that Mail.app is just screwing up
the connection because it expects SSL to be done only with port 25?
Basically, a bug in Mail.app? Strangely, it doesn't work with Outlook
Express either, which uses ssmtp.