Re: [Exim] Exim 3 vs Exim 4...does it matter to a newbie?

Author: Kirill Miazine
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim 3 vs Exim 4...does it matter to a newbie?
Andy Firman wrote:

> Somebody made a comment in another thread that Exim 3 and 4
> are VERY different.

Yes, the are. But the philosophy is the same.

> I am about to learn Exim. Got the O'Reilly book right here next to me....
> Exim: The Mail Transfer Agent. Looks like it is based on Exim 3.
>
> Did I waste my money on the book?

Nope. Good book. Gives a nice Exim introduction. Exim spec that is
downloadable from the ftp site is a reference document. For newcomers it
may be somewhat hard to swallow. When I was learing Exim, there was no
Exim book, so I just printed out the reference and started reading it.
That worked nice.

> Should I learn Exim 3 anyway?

No. Exim 3 developement is dead.

> Are the fundamentals the same? (important question to me)

The fundamentals are mostly the same.

> Is Exim 4 very different because of advanced features?

Yes. Exim 4 offers you a lot better control with fewer options.

> Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Go ahead, read the book. But test the stuff you learn on Exim 4. Look at
the default config file for Exim 4 - it's well commented and is a good
starting point for a newbie.

Good luck.

--
    -- K.M.