Re: [Exim] Exim 3 vs Exim 4...does it matter to a newbie?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Kevin P. Fleming
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Exim 3 vs Exim 4...does it matter to a newbie?
Andy Firman wrote:
> Somebody made a comment in another thread that Exim 3 and 4
> are VERY different.

Yes, very.

> I am about to learn Exim. Got the O'Reilly book right here next to me....
> Exim: The Mail Transfer Agent. Looks like it is based on Exim 3.

Yes it is. Philip is working on a new edition based on Exim 4, but I
don't think it's ready yet.

> Did I waste my money on the book?

Can't speak to that, since I've not seen the book

> Should I learn Exim 3 anyway?
>
> Are the fundamentals the same? (important question to me)

Yes, the fundamentals are the same; the whole message handling
philosophy is identical, and even major portions of the config file are
the same. Except for directors/routers (Exim 3) being all called routers
(Exim 4) and having their names and some options changed, the really
major difference between Exim 3 and Exim 4 is the ACLs. In Exim 3 there
was a plethora of options for controlling access, in Exim 4 it's very
logically organized into ACLs and far more configurable.

> Is Exim 4 very different because of advanced features?

Yes, that is the biggest reason. But to operate a good-citizen SMTP
server on the 'Net today, you need to understand those features so you
ensure you are not an open relay, etc.