Re: [Exim] Sharing Experience

Top Pagina
Auteur: Kirill Miazine
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Sharing Experience
S. Yoder wrote:

> [snip using Exchange's 'Prohibit Send' quota and a situation that
> cause problems]
>
> Long time lurker here who's working hard as possible to replace my
> company's Exchange 5.5 server... I too use the 'Prohibit Send' in
> Exchange for exactly the reason specified -> it forces users to clean
> out their mailboxes more so than a prohibit receive. However, I have
> also set the 'Prohibit Send and Receive' (at a slightly higher amount)
> in order to avoid the situation described. So far no one has hit that
> limit since we installed Exchange back in '96.
>
> I've been trying to figure out a way to do the same with Exim and I
> was almost to the point of writing the list about it anyway. I have
> Exim's quotas setup and working fine on my test box. However I know my
> users will ignore the warning message and I know that if I prohibit
> receiving and a critical email is bounced I'll spend more time

Critical email will be defred if user is over quota. For a while at
least. Finally it will bounce.

> explaining the situation to the boss than it takes for the user who
> claims not to have seen the warning message to clean out their box. If
> they are not able to send then I've got their attention and they'll
> clean out their box, usually without help from me.
>
> So... is there anyway to do or add in the future something like:
> quota_send = 50M
> quota_receive = 80M

It is possible to do, no need to add special options for that.

> Where quota_send would be the limit of the mailbox size where the user
> couldn't send anymore.

You need an ACL for that. Store mailbox size somewhere. When a user
tries to send a message, check size of her mailbox and "deny" if
mailbox size > 50M.

How is mail stored? Mbox? Maildir? Cyrus' mailstore?

Some generic option for quota_send is impossible to have.

> Quota_receive would work just like quota does now. That's about the

Why do you need a special quota_receive then?

> only issue I have left to resolve before we can make the switch.
>
> BTW, thanks to everyone as I have learned a lot just lurking and going
> through the archives. It is really helpful when folks give examples
> both with their problems and the solutions. I got my first taste of

You know, I find exim-users to be the most friendly and helpful list
around.

--
    -- K.M.