Re: [Exim] Sharing Experience

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: James P. Roberts
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Sharing Experience
> James P. Roberts wrote:
> > Anyway, my point in sharing is to (a) provide some amusement, and

(b)
> > stress a few facts, that most of you probably already know, but it
> > doesn't hurt to repeat occasionally anyway:
> >

> <snip>
>
> Next item in the list: never, ever, ever, ever bounce a bounce

message.

Amen to that!

The interesting thing about the story I related, is that nothing ever
technically "bounced" a bounce message, exactly. It "forwarded"
messages. I guess the problem was, a "bounce" got turned into another
message, by a client too brain-dead to recognize a bounce when it got
one.

This leads to the question, is it OK to forward a bounce? I guess the
answer is, a SERVER should forward a bounce, if the target address is
set up to forward; but, a CLIENT should never, ever, ever, ever reply to
or forward a bounce, in any automated way.

Let's say some poor user gets stuck with such a poorly written piece of
client software, and something like this gets started. It is, as proven
by my own experience, not impossible. How does one go about detecting,
and stopping, such a loop in progress? Any thoughts?

Jim Roberts
Punster Productions, Inc.