Re: [Exim] hints database problem

Author: Nico Erfurth
To: Phil Chambers
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] hints database problem
Phil Chambers wrote:
> I am using callout in a RCPT ACL for recipients on some local machines. I found
> that I was getting frozen non-delivery messages for one particular user on one of
> those machines because messages where not being rejected by the callout but were
> being rejected for the actual attempt to send. I have eventually worked out that
> the callout is not happening because the hints database says the address is OK!
>
> How long will the data in the hints database remain valid? Section 42.6 says "Wxim
> ignores any records that are more than six hours old", but that it where it is
> discussing ETRN. In my case it is well over 6 hours.
>
> Is it possible that when an outgoing RCPT fails the hints record is removed?

42.6 is only about ETRN, and what you mean is just the serialization
record, that exim keeps so noone can start multiple ETRNs with the same
arguments.

The problem with callouts is, that not all MTAs reject after RCPT TO:
but after DATA is sent, another problem are spammers running joe-jobs,
when you receive the message everything is ok, but when you send back
the bounce the receivers mailbox is full, or something like that.

If you want to drop the record, either user exim_tidydb or just delete
the callout.db, or if you are brave, try

exim_fixdb SPOOLDIR callout
emailaddress d

this will delete the record.

Ohhh, btw maybe Phil should implement the usage of the SIZE command into
the callout-check, this could help with the mailbox full issues ....

Nico