Re: [Exim] Force new (valid) Exim-style message id from syst…

Author: David Woodhouse
To: Ralf G. R. Bergs
CC: exim-users ML
Subject: Re: [Exim] Force new (valid) Exim-style message id from systemfilter?
On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 08:23, Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:
> No -- $message_id is the internal Exim "job number," the one you use e.g. to
> remove messages from the queue. It's not a "fully-qualified" message id.

Ah, OK. That makes sense then, assuming it's sufficiently unique.
Although Evolution bizarrely seems to dislike your message-ids and
generate its own for your messages. I'm inclined to blame Evolution for
that though -- its behaviour really can be quite odd at times.

> >Users might not like it.
>
> Well, since there are only two users who use the server in question this is
> not a problem. :-)

Heh. Fair enough :)

> The reason why I started mucking around with message ids is that I'm
> evaluating the Cygnus port of "Mutt" under Windoze 2000. Without tweaking it
> would generate illegal message ids (since I only have private IPs and
> hostnames inside my LAN.) I finally managed to tweak it so that it does
> generate valid message ids, but I thought it might be a more clever approach
> to have my mailserver generate unique and valid message ids.

Using an RFC1918 IP literal wouldn't be too clever, I suppose -- but
private hostnames are permitted, as long as they're unique. Isn't your
own internal domain nomenclature sufficiently unique? Is there really a
chance of someone else naming their internal machines 'ralf.wg', etc.?

--
dwmw2