RE: [Exim] send copy of bounce message to postmaster

Author: Tony Earnshaw
To: exim-users
CC: Nigel Metheringham
Subject: RE: [Exim] send copy of bounce message to postmaster
tor, 2003-02-06 kl. 14:43 skrev Nigel Metheringham:

>snip>

>      2. bounces of a local user sending to an unknown remote user
>         (unless this is 550-d in the SMTP then you are going to have to
>         do heuristics on incoming mail and intercept some based on that
>         - as I understand German law this would be *very* illegal)

</snip>

This is obviously OT for pure Exim stuff, but should be of interest to
very many Europeans.

<snip>

> Frankly with EU data protection law as it is I would strongly advise you
> *never* copy mail to postmaster unless you have good legal opinion
> supporting the alternatives. You can get all the required detail for
> diagnosis from the logs.

</snip>

Not quite sure what you're on about here, and *no-one* else has shown
the least reaction. I've lived in Holland, since 1976, but:

1: Why would it, according to German law, be illegal to do heuristics on
bounced incoming mail? Why would an smtp 550 be acceptable in such a
case?

Nico E.?

2: Why should incoming mail not be copied to postmaster? I know about
the Dutch privacy laws (which are also analogous in my other country,
Norway - not EEC), but both here and there any employer can do what he
likes with the organization's mail sent and received in his name, as
long as he makes such provisos known and can prove that he has done so.

Moreover, Dutch (European?) ISPs are bound to keep tabs on all mail sent
and received, if written requirement is furnished by the local security
authorities.

I.O.W., there is no such thing as guaranteed e-mail privacy here, if one
does not secure it oneself, f.ex. by using strong encryption.

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

"Can anyone define 'modern enclitic
mediocrity' in terms of the Euro for me?"
- Billy the (Norwegian-Dutch) Cat, Feb '03

e-post:        tonni@???
www:        http://www.billy.demon.nl