Re: [Exim] Address rewriting vs. CNAME records?

Author: Matthew Byng-Maddick
Subject: Re: [Exim] Address rewriting vs. CNAME records?
On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 06:49:52PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Friday, February 7, 2003 at 23:12:22 (+0000), Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote: ]
> Excuse me? You're obvioulsy still not thinking straight about how this
> kind of consistency checking _must_ work. Obviously neither my mailer
> nor my caching nameserver can keep tabs on all the A records in all the
> zones in all the DNS, nor can they intuit what other inconsistent A
> records you might have configured for the same address your mailer is
> using.

Right. So IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU ONLY RETURN ONE PTR RECORD, EVEN IF
THERE ARE MORE THAN ONE A RRS POINTING TO YOUR HOST! I'm glad we've got
that cleared up.

> > I'm also disputing your claims that not
> > having multiple PTR records (while still having PTR records at all)
> > breaks things.
> Perhaps you should try some more variations on mis-configuring your DNS
> and experiment some more with connecting to my mailer.

I don't need to bother. I have better things to do with my time. You've
nicely argued yourself into a corner. I don't care.

> > I don't read postfix-users. I don't use postfix. I also read enough other
> > things that I wouldn't have time. Perhaps you'd care to post a reference.
> You know they've got these wonderful things called "search engines"...
> They generate references with great ease, and not even that many if you
> have any luck choosing your search parameters....

This implies that I'm interested enough in what your mailer does to care.

As it is, I'm not. I would have probably looked if you'd done the work.

Remember, these fora are not write-only media. You're writing for your
readers.

MBM